Thread: Prepping

1. #1 Prepping 
    auscraft
    As I live on small rural acreage in a small rural community Prepping is the only smart thing to do.
    We live more than 70km's away from a major town that is a town with more than 1 grocery store and at least a McDonalds and more than 100kms from the nearest Bunnings or other big tool supplier.
    My prepping is based on natural disaster or events which we have seen a few since we moved here.
    I do keep non perishable goods and have a designated pantry, I keep a 5400 gal water tank full at all times in case of fire, I do canning and heavily into recycling. We don't have own water so water is our biggest issue (either drought or floods) especially when it comes to growing things.
    Last edited by auscraft; 19th October 2013 at 09:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you get on with water? Get it carted in?
    We have one tank. Live 70 odd Ks from the nearest "Big" town.
    We have to pump water from the dam when the tank runs empty.
    Let it settle a few days and "Most" of the smell is gone.

auscraft
    we had a bore drilled a few years after we got here and ran 1 1/2 inch pipe right to the house and tanks before this yes we had it transported. Water from our bore has been tested and it is very good drinking quality. We also a have a small dam onsite, and 6 water tanks
    Last edited by auscraft; 19th October 2013 at 10:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have the water sorted. Can you grow much fruit there? What do you can? Do you preserve your meat at all?
    I had a go at Panchetta once. it turned out rather good albeit rather salty. a good soak and it was fine.
    my kids loved it.

auscraft
    Water is still a small issue to get it where we need it (irrigation) but working on that.
    Yes we do grow fruits and nuts and personal vege.
    We grow apricots, plums, nectarines, cherries, apples, bananas, oranges, lemons, mandarins, assorted berries , pears and macadamias to name a few, there are a few more but not without major issues like mango and pawpaw. We do preserve much of what is grown not so much meat but I do smoke a bit of venison and poultry

Post Thanks / Like
    Where we are leasing there is no fruit trees at all. Our chooks free range and we have very sandy granite soil so a veg garden is non existent. We do how ever have eggs. We raise pigs. I am able to do deals with work for meat.

auscraft
    How many pigs?
    You may want to start composting if you can and do raised plant beds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right now we have 12 pigs. But need to offload at least 5. As for compost. The pigs get most of it. I am working on a chook pen. Long term project. Lol. You need $$ to do that kind of thing.